|this image is owned by http://www.sxc.hu|
A user requested to turn ON the num lock on his keyboard. Obviously, I showed him the num lock key in the number pad and pressed it. He looked at me and said “I know that key already, what I like is to turn ON the num lock forever”.
There are 2 techniques to set the num lock ON by default.
1. Configuring the script to change the num lock state.
- Click START - RUN and type NOTEPAD, press enter
- Copy the code below and paste it in the notepad editor
set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
- Now SAVE this file with name “num.vbs” must include the quotes.
- Copy this file to users' startup folder. The path for this folder is
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
- Restart the computer. Num lock should be ON.
2. Use the registry editor
- Click START - RUN and type REGEDT32.EXE
- Navigate to HKEY_USERS\Control Panel\Keyboard
- Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.
My advice: If you are not that techy to handle these things then please choose option 1, that is easier than using the registry editor in option 2 (registry editor is sensitive, if you make one mistake it might corrupt the whole system).